San Francisco: Lombard Street and Cable Car

By Cubie - September 29, 2011


I didn't bring my tripod with me at that time, and it was difficult to get a good shot. I hope you can see the zig zag of the street. Can you?

Lombard Street is known as the croocked street in SF. However it is not the "crookedest" street in the world or SF. The "crookedest" street is actually Vermont Street. However Lombard Street is the famous one. The well-known crooked portion of Lombard Street is located between Jones St and Hyde St. There's a cable car stop at the top end of the crooked street. However, we got there by walking from Ghirardelli Square.

The way to view is from the bottom, hence we actually walked to the bottom of the curvy street. I took the shot and ... we walked up the crooked street, just nice to take the famous cable car back, it was threatening to rain too then.

Alright, don't strain your eyes trying to see the zig zag. I borrowed a picture from here to spare the eyes. :P


By the way, there's staircase by the side for pedestrian. There are some nice houses around the area.


I took the shot above on our way to Lombard Street. Apparently the light in the middle is the light from a cable car, assisting an elderly lady to get to her house on the top right, bypassing the staircase. I don't know how true that is, but a man who was walking his dog telling me I was taking picture of his house :P

Anyway, back to the cable car. From observation, the cable cars in SF stopped in the middle of the road, sometimes in the middle of a crossroad. I actually don't know if the driver can see us waiting at the stand with all the cars parking by the roadside. But somehow the cable car did stop. I have posted the picture of cable car before, so here's two on the inside of it.



So, if you want to get good pictures of Lombard Street, I'll say try to go before it gets dark :P


Side note: It's going to be a wet long weekend :(

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments