Türkiye: Food options

By Cubie - May 12, 2023


Turkish breakfast 
The one above was the best breakfast spread I had in Türkiye - in Lunaria Guest House in Ayvalik. Otherwise the rest of the breakfast would still include egg, jam, olives, bread (of course), cheese, fruits, coffee or tea. So not at all shabby. 


Pottery Kebab (Testi Kebabi)
It is the most renown dish of the Cappadocia region. The traditional pottery kebab is made using an Avanos pot. Avanos is the "pottery village" of Cappadocia. The one I ordered was chicken and cooked with tomatoes, capsicum and onions, with the addition of a mixture of herbs, the contents of the pottery kebab is placed into small, single-serve pots. I had this in Göreme Han Restaurant, it was the first restaurant I came across that serves testi kebabi on my walk back to town. Very tasty and free tea provided. 

Chicken testi kebab, TL170


Grilled fish
This lunch was part of the Green Tour that I joined. It was a three-course meal - soup with salad, main meal and dessert. I chose fish for my main meal. This was some sort of lentil soup. 




Tavuk Sarma
Chicken stuffed with spinach, served with cheese, potato cubes and rice. The tour guide for the tour I joined recommended Anatolian Kitchen for food and so I went for dinner after that. Maybe not the best choice, but I find the chicken was a bit dry, TL185



Pide
The one below is Kuru Kiymali Kasarli Pide (or Pita dry minced meat with kashar cheese). It was described as roasted ground beef, onion, mint, chilli flakes and kashar cheese. This was simple, tasty and cheap, TL60.



Adana Kebab
I initially wanted to find another shop but as my luck has it, I seem to have issues locating restaurants that I wanted to go. I was approached by the owner of White House as I walked passed, the shop was empty so I initially a little apprehensive but it was already after usual lunch hour. The price looked decent so I went in. The adana kebab was very good. I had adana kebab when I returned to Melbourne, the one I had was nowhere near this. Coffee was provided free of charge. 

Adana kebab, TL125

Shish Kebab
When I was wondering where to go for dinner, a fellow traveller came out of Seven Spices İndian restaurant and told me his dinner was superb, and I was sold. Eatery was busy but the owner pre-empted that service would be slow. I wasn't in rush for time so happily sat down and waited for dinner. I gained weight despite walking some ridiculous number of steps daily which my friend said must be all the kebabs I consumed. He wasn't wrong I guess. 

Shish kebab + ice tea, total TL128


Durum doner
My choice of eatery was by feel mostly, i.e. no logic. As I waslked passed many food places in Bodrum, this place had the least intimidating vibe, so that was dinner - at Nokta Sebzeli Bodrum Döner. It was advertised that the lemonade on sale was homemade, so I got a glass. 

Durum doner + lemonade, TL128


Lokanta
Lokanta is something like an eatery or “restaurant.” It serves home-style casserole dishes, mostly tradesmen working in the neighborhood. I was first brought to one by one of the local who struck up a conversation with me on my walk. I didn't have lunch and wanted an early dinner. When I asked for suggestion on where locals eat, I was brought to a lokanta and got the below. I guess in Malaysia, this is like "chap fan" or economical rice. I got a mixture of different dishes. 


I went to another one in Çanakkale, I also got a mixture of dishes - TL80

The one in the further plate was stuffed eggplant


Papalina
Papalina (European sprat) is a specialty in Ayvalik so that was my first meal in Ayvalik. This was delicious. I had this at Muhteremin Yeri. I'm not sure if it was true but google said it is marked as permanently closed. 

Papalina+salad+orange juice, TL145


Ayvalik Toast
It has fillings of sausage, salami, picked cucumbers, etc. I was asked if I want to omit anything but I asked for all. I can't remember the name of the shop where I got this, but it was somewhere near the #Ayvalik sign.

TL35


Manti
These are small dumplings of dough filled with meat mix, served with yoghurt and paprika. This did get a bit too rich by the end of it. 

Manti + tea, TL60


Tavuk sis
This was at Three Partner's Cafe Restaurant at the recommendation of the hotel owner. Order came with entree (bread with dips) and dessert of baklava, TL130. It is also important to note that they didn't auto add service charge to their bill. 




Grilled Fish
I wanted to have a fish dish, the recommended restaurant that I looked for doesn't seem to be open for service and looked way too expensive. So this was plan B. The dish was ok, but I can't remember the restaurant name and I wasn't pleased that they added service charge to the bill. When I asked, I was told that they didn't jack up their prices to include tipping so they added as a service charge. According to the hotel owner, he told me that service charges are not compulsory, and told me that was why he recommended Three Partner's Cafe Restaurant and they don't add service charges. 

TL270

Balik ekmek
Fish sandwich - cheap and happy but I got this near the Spice Bazaar before I saw the ones at the Galata Bridge. It was more expensive at TL80




Ciya Sofrasi
I feel this is like a lokanta as well but serves rarer regional dishes that are harder to find. The dishes were tasty but I find it a bit too pricey. I think it could be that they were charged by portion and that it can't be "mixed". 

Clockwise from top left (based on the copy of receipt): Firik Pilavı (this is rice mixture with some grain), Asude (based on google, I don't think this translate to any type of food but it was okra dish), Ekşili Kebap Yemeği (sourish dish with kebab), Güveç Yemeği (cubed meat casserole with vegetables). Total of TL300 and I was reminded that they didn't add any service charge. I added a 10% tip.



Lamb shank
It was marked under Ottoman Specialities in Ottoman's Kitchen Restaurant so I ordered this as I was feeling lamb. Maybe I have misunderstood but I thought it could be Turkish way of cooking it but thinking back, the Ottoman could be referring to the restaurant's name. Anyway it was good food and they gave full side free starter. Look at that bread. Also came with free dessert of baklavas and tea. 

I walked passed this restaurant after having the grilled fish dish on my second dinner in Istanbul. As I already had my dinner, naturally I wasn't interested. We had a short chat, I was ready to continue walking, but the restaurant host (is that the term for the person who stand in front of a restaurant to get people's interest?) asked if I could pop in for a tea, said most customers would feel more inclined to go in a restaurant if they see someone in there. I don't know what logic that is or what I was thinking, I ended up having a glass of tea. I had a look at the menu and thought the price looked reasonable so I thought I would return another day. I was told it is very common to be invited for tea as a big pot is brewed at all times. 

At the time of my visit, I found out that 3 of the staffs at this restaurant share the same name - Mustafa. 


TL400 including tips (I can't remember if I added 10% or 15% tips)


Baklava
Doesn't need introduction I think - this layered pastry dessert is made of filo pastry, filled with chopped nuts, and sweetened with syrup or honey. It was one of the most popular sweet pastries of Ottoman cuisine. I went to a baklava sweet shop and got some as a gift, the rest were eaten as part of free dessert. 

There were 2, I ate one before I remembered a photo


Ayran
Turkish's national yoghurt drink, it was a salty taste yoghurt. 



Lokma
Got these deep fried dough balls, soaked in syrupr or honey as a snack before dinner on getting back to Bodrum from Kos day trip. 

TL40 for 15 balls I think


Kazanbidi
This caramelised milk pudding was randomly selected from one of my supermarket run, it was not bad actually and wasn't too sweet either, TL 8.



Peynir Helvasi
This cheese halva was found in Çanakkale, served with vanilla ice-cream and definitely need the ice-cream to cut through the sweetness. Way too sweet for my liking, texture felt like a dense type of cake. 

TL15


Midye dolma
This is stuffed mussel with aromatic rice, herb and spices, served with a squeeze of lemon or lime. If you see this, please get some. It was delicious. It is priced per each mussel and depends on the size of the mussel. The ratio of rice to mussel would depends on the size of the mussel. I think I had 4 of the TL2.5 ones. 



Simit
These sesame crusted bread rings, sometimes with nutella or cheese fillings are sold as street food. They were my sustenance when I was queuing to get in to Aya Sofya because breakfast were not included as part of my hotel room in Istanbul. However, on the balance of days, the hotel owner gave me free breakfast. Turkish hospitality :)

Cinnamon bun, TL12 (also sold by Simit sellers)

Poor photo but doughy good Nutella simit, TL15

Börek with cheese
I didn't go up the Galata Tower but did stop and have a tea break, at one of the small dessert shop nearby. I unfortunately totally cannot remember the name of the shop. Below are one baklava and some borek with cheese, washed down with tea.

Total TL44


Firin Sutlac and Sahlep
Turkish baked rice pudding was warm and comforting on the rainy day in Kadikoy. There were some rice bits within the pudding for texture too. Not too sweet, TL50.

The drink at the back is Sahlep, TL40. The drink is made from salep flour which was produced from from the tubers of an orchid genus Orchis. The texture felt a bit starchy. Salep flour is also used to make dondurma. 



Turkish coffee
I had many rounds of Turkish coffee, usually complimentary drink is tea or instant coffee but the one below was courtesy of a restaurant near the hotel in Istanbul. 


If you noticed, it is missing photo of dondurma. Not because I didn't have any, but all the photos I had were so bad, it's hard work trying to juggle the camera and making sure the ice-cream doesn't start dripping. :) 


Side note: Mayday!

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments