Dubai: Things to do in Dubai

By Cubie - May 27, 2023


I had 4 full days in Dubai. I initially planned to do a day trip to Abu Dhabi but at the time of visit, PCR within 2 weeks was still a mandatory requirement. In order to make the 2 weeks validity, it would meant I would have to find a place for PCR in Türkiye or Dubai, with allowance of time for results to be available. Due to logistic reason, I decided to forgo Abu Dhabi but went on a desert safari tour instead, which an old friend who used to work in Dubai said I should try. 


Walking around Old Dubai
The accommodations I booked were in Deira due to both cost and location. So day 1 was spent in Old Dubai. I don't know what gotten into me but I walked a lot under the hot sun in Dubai in October. I attempted to do this walking tour in the Old Dubai. 


First stop was Fish Market. To be honest, I wasn't sure if the Fish Market I saw was the Fish Market mentioned in the walking tour link. The one I visited was within the Waterfront Market Dubai which houses more than just Fish Market. I didn't take a photo of the market as there was a steady stream of patrons but the outdoor, as the name mentioned - along a waterfront.



From there, I walked to the Gold Souk. The gold and jewellery on display at the shop front were very impressive. I didn't enter any of the shops as I had no intention to get any. It was a good respite from the heat though. I might have walked passed Perfume Souk according to Google Maps but they are shops instead of "souk".




Then onwards to the Spice Souk. Also didn't get any, especially since I went to Dubai from Türkiye. I felt shop or stall owners in Dubai were so much more persistent than the ones in Turkiye. It gets very tiring trying to walk pass the shops or stalls.  

From there, I walked towards Abra Station to take the boat service to Bur Dubai. On the way to the Abra Station, I walked passed Grand Souk "Deira"



From here, look for an Abra station to cross Dubai's Creek in traditional Abra (wooden boat). It cost AED 1 for one way. Fare was collected when on the Abra, and paid by cash.



The ride ended near another souk, Grand Souk - Bur Dubai



The walking tour went towards Al Bastakiya and Al Fahidi historically neighbourhood. I don't know how I ended up at Al Shindagha neighbourhood, possibly because of a nearby metro station. Think the heat was getting to me, it was still hot in Dubai in October. 

Al Shindagha is an area which houses waterfront museum which hosts historic exhibits in the place where the city began.




Upon realising that I missed both the Al-Fahidi Historical Neighbourhood and Al-Seef, I returned on my last day in Dubai. 

Al-Fahidi is a heritage site with preserved original infrastructure of old Dubai along the Dubai Creek. Next to Al-Fahidi is Al-Seef. Al-Seef also features a heritage area of old architecture, and another side with more comtemporary structures. 








On the day of my visit to Al-Seef, I have already moved to Radisson Blu Hotel, Dubai Deira Creek which conveniently right across from Al-Seef. I took another Abra ride across the creek to head back to the hotel. This ride from another station and felt less touristy. I think this is cost more than AED 1 but still very affordable. I can't remember the exact cost as this round was paid with Nol card. 


Downtown Dubai
After spending a day at Old Dubai, day 2 was spent at the rich and famous side of Downtown Dubai covering the iconic landmarks of Dubai Mall, Dubai Aquarium and Underwater Zoo, Burj Khalifa and Dubai Fountain.  The heat was bearable at this day as I was indoor most of the time, except when I was out to catch the Dubai Fountain.



I decided against going up Burj Khalifa but caught the fountain show in both daytime and night. The Dubai Fountain shows starts at 6pm to 11pm daily. Each session is about 5 minutes long and runs every 30 minutes. Daytime shows timings are 1pm to 1:30pm. Friday timings are 1:30pm to 2pm. 

Not many people were outside waiting for the daytime show, a big contrast compared to the evening shows. 



Also too cheapskate to pay to go in to the Dubai Aquarium and Underwater Zoo, the free section was fun too. 



Dubai Mall is huge and it also houses Kinokuniya or I would not be able to spend the rest of the day loitering around. 



Desert Safari
I randomly found a tour to desert safari which included dune bashing, sandboarding and bbq dinner. There were only 6 of us excluding the guide. I was picked up first and sent back last as I was the one closest to the tour company which happened to be in Deira. The rest were staying in Jumeirah area as coincidentally they were visiting another person who happens to live in Dubai. 

First stop was for an optional quad biking that I didn't participate then we were off to dune bashing. We were at the Red Sand Desert, which I was told is located in Sharjah. After dune bashing and sandbashing, we were sent to a camp for dinner which had side activities of a very short camel ride, shisha corner and heena hand painting. There were also live performances like belly dancing and fire show in the middle of the camp. 





Jumeirah
The intention was to see the Jumeirah, Palm Jumeirah and Dubai Marina area. I got to where Burj Al-Arab is but didn't have enough credit in my Nol card to get on a bus to anywhere else. I asked, the bus driver said no other option. There was nowhere to top up, I walked back to the nearest metro about 40 minutes away. So naturally, I just decided to head back. Ha. 

I'm not sure where is the best free spot to see Burj Al-Arab though as during my visit, many areas were cordoned off due to construction. 



Side note: It feels bare now that my neighbour has chopped off the tree between us... 

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. Thanks for sharing amazing information. It is really useful for travelers. I appreciate your effort.

    ReplyDelete