VIC: Day trip to Echuca

By Cubie - March 17, 2021

PS Pevensey

Echuca is a town in northern Victoria. It is across the Murray River from Moama, a twin town in New Souther Wales. Echuca was the busiest and most prosperous port town on the Murray River when paddle steamers plying the Murray from 1860. Twin towns, paddle steamers and river. What's not to like about it, so that was my 3 days 2 nights regional getaway. 

Well, I seem to have a knack for picking the wrong time for planning a holiday because my 3 days 2 nights getaway turned to be a day trip because the day I reached Echuca, it was announced that Victoria would go into a 5 days lockdown starting the next day. Anyway, I decided to cut short my holidays and returned back to Melbourne on the same day, i.e. day trip to Echuca.  


Between reaching Echuca and my return ride back to Melbourne, I had about 4+ hours plus to spend in Echuca. I was in luck and made it in time for a paddle steamer ride after lunch. 


Lunch was at Shebani's and I had their falafel salad. I opted for a vegetarian meal as it was day 1 of lunar new year. It was pretty good. 

I only had time to do one activity in Echuca, I made it for a 2:45pm Echuca Paddlesteamers PS Alexander Arbuthnot ride, $27. 



PS Alexander Arbuthnot was the last paddlesteamer built for river trade. It was built in Koondrook in 1923 for used as a logging towboat. PS Alexander Arbuthnot sank in 1947 but raised in 1972 and restored. After operating in Shepparton for a few years, it was further restored and relaunched again in 1991. 

After a one-hour river cruising, I was back to Port of Echuca Discovery Centre. Access to Interpretive Centre, Outdoor Displays and Echuca Wharf is free of charge for access but guided tours remained a paid experience. 



I spent the balance of time walking around the township area before heading back to the train station to catch a coach back to Melbourne. 


The other entrance to Beechworth Bakery

Echuca Train Station

Then it was back to Melbourne, in time before lockdown started. 

On route back to Melbourne


Side note: The office Echuca Moama website has good information on things to do. 

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. Haha ... looks like we're all trying to squeeze out a few days of domestic travels before the lockdown for the latest wave ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just noticed a whole lot of comments now >.<"

      Delete