VIC: Summer getaway to Bright and Beechworth

By Cubie - December 25, 2021

Both Bright and Beechworth are towns in North East Victoria, about 3.5 hours drive away. Bright is a known base in winter when skiiers flock to Mount Hotham (a popular ski resort) or to explore the peaks of Mount Buffalo National Park. In autumn, both towns puts up beautiful autumn colours. 

I was there in summer, however, merely because of the annual mandatory time off. This year, it is a good 3 weeks. The initial plan was to fly to Perth again and join sis for camping but as we all know how things are these 2 years, it didn't happen. This was my plan B - 3 nights in Bright and another in Beechworth, then back to Melbourne. I read that these towns get really busy between Christmas and New Year though, so if possible, try to avoid visiting during that period. 

Regional town in Australia is best travel via a car but since I don't own one and didn't want to drive for more than 3 hours myself, I decided on train travel. One can buy the tickets online or at the counter, I did the latter as I wasn't sure if they would ask for a printout after purchasing. I encountered a lady who showed her ticket on her phone when I was travelling back to Melbourne though, so it looked like paper tickets are not a must. The V/Line page here would let you know where to buy tickets if you are at any town that doesn't have a train station. 

Services between Melbourne to Wangaratta is usually via train, followed with bus services after. Bus replacement was in place on the day I was travelling to Bright though, so I had bus travel to Wangaratta then transferred to another one to Bright. 

Buses on the way to Bright and to Beechworth were really empty so I didn't expect the train back to Melbourne was full. It was nearer to Christmas but I was caught surprised. I had a middle seat of a 3 seater and facing another 3 seater. Mask is compulsory on public transport. 

For Bright, I booked 3 nights Coach House Inn which is right smack on Gavan Street, opposite the Tourist Information Center. It is next to a bar but it wasn't too loud, plus I don't hear any noise after 10pm. The room I stayed looked a little used but clean. 

I had concern that the painting would fall on me but it didn't, so all good

I had a night in Hibernian Hotel in Beechworth, to my surprise was an apartment which include a kitchenette, separate bathroom and bedroom. I didn't realise that when I made the booking as this came up as most affordable option versus review. 




My itinerary was very simple, this was all planned. If you drive and want to travel longer, there are other nearby towns to include. 

M: morning, A: afternoon, E: evening

19/12, Day 01 - Train/bus (AUD 41) to Bright* (Coach House Inn)
20/12, Day 02 - Bright*, cycled to Porepunkah and Wandiligong
21/12, Day 03 - Bright*
22/12, Day 04 - Bus (AUD 5.20) to Beechworth* (Hibernian Hotel)
23/12, Day 05 - Bus/train (AUD 39.20) back to Melbourne
*referring to overnight stay


Side note: Merry Christmas ^^

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments