Vikhroli: Around a Mumbai Suburb

By Cubie - July 23, 2014


Vikhroli is a suburb in Mumbai and lies somewhere in the centre of Mumbai. It is nowhere near any tourist attraction and in fact, it takes probably an hour or so to get to one. Considering that I have about 5 to 6 hours to spare including 2 hours commuting, I decided to just check out the neighbourhood.

Nothing faze cows in India
When you are in India, this is a common sight - cows sitting at the side of the road, or even right smack in the middle. Motorist driving in India has superb skill in navigating around this holy animal.

I walked out of the residential area towards where the shops were, lo and behold there's a supermarket! Grin - it's fun to poke around in supermarket when you have time and see what kind of food there are on the shelves in different countries. I thought I'll start the day with coffee and got myself a can coffee, ahem... but I did finish it, waste not...

The other outlet that I spend a bit of time was a little book store, there were books for young adults written by Hindi authors too! Anyway, I continued my walk to the waters. Grin.


Yup, this was in Mumbai

I sat around for a bit, taking in the view and jotting down in my journal. There were two other guys there, sitting at the best spot in the house, at a corner, under the shade. My spot wasn't too bad but I had to move every now and then to get under the shade.


I sat crossed legs and by the time I got up, my feet has gone sleeping and I was limping to wear off the numbness. One of the passerby looked worried and started saying something to me. I don't speak Hindi and he doesn't speak English but somehow I worked out that he thought I had injured my foot. I also somehow managed to tell him I was ok. 'Sign' language and 'OK' seems universal enough. ;)

I walked back to the shops and picked out what I wanted to have for lunch. I decided to get a dosa from a food stall. Against all the advice of not eating street food in India, I went ahead with it anyway. I justified that it was cooked hot, that should have some comfort. This did not give me food poisoning but food from some restaurant in Agra did. Go figure.

Kaala masala dosa

Yes - I actually have a fork in my bag, a spoon too.. LOL

I asked for takeaway thinking that it would be easy to eat, a bit like a wrap. I was wrong, it came with dipping curries.

Super messy
There comes the issue, it's not ideal to do a takeaway as I was reluctant to eat such messy dish at where I was bunking. I did something that was probably a little worse than eating street food - I ate the street food in the street, sitting on a staircase, with the food placed on a flat hand rail. All was good and I even got myself an ice-cream cup from the supermarket as I made my way back to the accommodation.

A little fluffing around, Little P returned from work and we were ready to get to the airport to catch our domestic flight to Udaipur. ^^


Side note: Keeping fingers crossed for a clear day!

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments