Kyoto: Kitano Tenmangu Shrine (北野天満宮) & Tenjin-san Flea Market (天神さん)

By Cubie - May 01, 2011

Breakfast of the day - パターフレーキ


As I finished breakfast, a fellow traveller hang out in the lounge room and we had a brief chat. He was also travelling by himself, a South Korean financial analyst but coincidentally working in the same street in Sydney. LOL but no, we didn't exchange contact. I'm not very good in making friend, aren't I = ="

It was his first day, my last day though :(


Kitano Tenmangu Shrine Flea Market, or commonly referred to as Tenjin-san Market, held on 25th of every month on the grounds of historic Kitano Tenmangu Shrine (北野天満宮). Different websites give different operating times, but approximate 6am/7am to 4pm.

It was at the northern area of Kyoto, nearer to Kinkakuji. I remembered being on the bus forever, I must've got on one of those slow bus.

First morning snack of the day.


There were a few selections. I had とりもも串(100 yen). とり being chicken but I wasn't too sure what もも meant. Not willing to risk eating some internal organ or what not, I fished out the trusty phone and checked. Grin, もも = thigh. :P There's no yakitori on chicken breast meat or I would've got those.


Tenjin-san being a flea market, housed many stalls selling pottery, old kimono and obi, antiques, tools, etc. Of course, there were no shortage of food stalls.

Big wok of oden





There were even plants on sale.


My second morning snack - sakura mochi. I have always been curious about sakura flavour. It was pretty good.


Beautiful piece of mochi, isn't it? I was not too sure about eating the leaf as well, so I asked. Haha.. yes, the whole thing can be eaten. :P

I bought a packet of 七味 (shichimi), the elderly couple who manned the stall was so friendly that they even gave me a candy just for buying the shichimi. :)


How could I travelled all the way but not visit the shrine as well? Here it is... Kitano Tenmangu Shrine.


Not too sure what this is called, but from observation, people will touch the statue and then a relevant part of their body. Example, touch the leg of the animal statue, followed with touching their own leg. I assumed it is to cure some pain of the body.





Side note: Why the chiffon cake I baked don't look like chiffon cake? = ="

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments