Türkiye: Random things to consider when planning a trip to Türkiye

By Cubie - November 19, 2022

1915 Çanakkale Bridge from a bus

ATM fees
I had a 6 hours layover between landing in Istanbul Aiport to my domestic flight to Kayseri. I initially booked a flight at 21:40 (on 30th September) giving me a 3+ hours gap but the flight was cancelled. I was rebooked on the next flight, which unfortunately scheduled at 01:25 (on 1st October) so I spent a lot of time in Istanbul Airport, specifically the domestic departure. There was a row of 6 ATM machines and I tried all to check which bank I should use to withdraw cash. 

From tripadvisor, last update 28/09/2022 and this website, last update 04/2022 - the banks that doesn't charge a fee are PTT, Halkbank, ING Bank, Şekerbank, Fibabanka, Ziraat Bankası. 
Of the ones in the list, I've only used ING bank. PTT are mostly outside of Turkish Post but I've not used. 


Price references online versus in Türkiye
I find the price gap between the reference I found online versus the actual price when I was in Türkiye are very different. I don't know if it was covid-19, inflation, time when website was updated versus time of my visit (early October 2022) or because I have very poor haggling skills but it was across many things, or all the above - entrance fees, hot air balloons, sim cards, food.

According to this website, in 2022, it is expected to be €140-190 per person in March, €170-200 per person between 01 April - 31 August, and €190-240 per person between September and October. I am still perplexed as to why it is most expensive in September and October as October is said to be shoulder season. Haha. I have must lost the plot. 

I paid €230 for a 60 minutes flight time hot air balloon with maximum 24 people. Breakfast, pick up, landing party with drinks are the norm across all. Post my travel, I think the price should be closer to €200. I booked via the hotel and was with Air Kapadokya Balloons. On hindsight, it is easy to make a booking online by ownself, especially after flight that I learned the more famous companies are Butterfly Balloons and Royal Balloons. 


Sim card
I found from here that Turkcell provides a Tourist Welcome Pack for 149 TL (~AUD 12), which includes 20 GB and 200 calling minutes, and valid for 30 days. This website was last updated in 2020. Turkcell's webpage mentioned that,

As of 08.09.2022, the recommended price of the Tourist Welcome Pack introduction kit has been revised as 349.00 TL. In addition to the opening taxes, 20 TL Radio Usage Fee will be charged to our customers who buy a line with the Tourist Welcome Pack. In addition, the one-time Service Fee at the time of opening will be 151.25 TL.


However, when I walked into a Turkcell outlet in Istanbul Airport on 1st October 2022, I was told the Tourist Welcome Pack cost 600 TL (if my memory doesn't fail me). I remember reading somewhere that sometimes Turkcell outlet in the airport could be more expensive compared to outlets outside of airport. One of a traveller I met told me that she was quoted an even higher price when she walked into a shop in Göreme.

I feel 600 TL (~AUD 48) is a little steep and asked if there is any cheaper plans. The staff whom I spoke to quoted me a 10 GB plan for 480 TL (~AUD 38.50) with validity of 30 days. Still not cheap and a less attractive package definitely. I didn't need the calling minutes and I could manage with 10 GB for 17 days, so I took this. 


Buses
Long distance buses are probably the only one where the fare is consistent with what I found before visiting Türkiye. Obilet.com is the website to look up buses schedule. I found this when I was researching for buses in Türkiye, and this same website was given to me by the hotel staff when I was in Göreme. 

One of the traveller I met during my trip said his attempt to get a ticket from the website was unsuccessful due to card issue but I've not tried. My usage was contained to looking up the schedule and decide which bus I want. I then bought a ticket from the bus station whenever I arrived at the city/town. 

Passport was needed when purchasing a ticket and I was also asked for mobile number. I was told in case of any changes to the bus timing, etc but they usually forgo it when I said I dont have calling minutes on my card. Knowing the word 'otogar' (bus station) goes a long way too :)

Long distance buses were comfortable and some served drinks and snack. I played Candy Crush on one of my rides. Most commuters didn't wear a mask but I usually donned one on public transports. ID checks were very common on buses, we were stopped 3 times on the bus from Denizli to Bodrum (about 4.5 hours).

All the toilets in bus stations charge a fee for entry, ranging from 2-5 TL except one that I don't know where because it was a stop in between Cappadocia to Pamukkale. The 5 TL (~AUD 0.40) one was in Bodrum bus station. 

Public buses that connects Bodrum bus station to central takes credit card. So you tap on using a credit card, and it costs 5 TL (~AUD 0.40).


Water
I used tap water for brushing teeth, etc but only drank bottled water or boiled water. What I didn't expect is that kettle isn't a norm in most accommodations that I stayed in. Only 2 of the accommodations provided a kettle and the ones that provided a kettle also gave complimentary bottled water. Cheapest 1.5L I got was from a supermarket, expectedly, at TL 3 (~AUD 0.25)


Taxis
I don't know how it turned out that I was mostly on public buses or I walked. I only got on a taxi in 4 occasions. Twice the hotel called a cab on my behalf, and twice I approached a taxi driver in a bus station. All 4 times they used the meter voluntarily. I did round up when I paid but the differences were negligable. 


Weather
I opted to travel in October as it was said to be the shoulder season. I was hoping it would be less warm by then but not yet hitting the rainy months. There was only 1 day of rain but it went on/off for the whole day. 


Side note: The only association the photo has with this post is that it was taken from a bus :D

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. I'm carefully studying your experience, as I do have Turkiye on my list. Maybe not this year or next year, but it's certainly in my plans.

    I recently encountered technical issues when I try to post a comment here. So I did some testing. It doesn't seem to work in Chrome or Safari. I switched to Edge and I'm able to post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I dont seem to get notifications of comments (I used to), which resulted in all the missed comments! Turkiye is amazing and hopefully safer then. I read of a bombing incident a week after I returned.

      Delete