Delhi: Qutb Minar

By Cubie - October 28, 2014


My second stop in Delhi was Qutb Minar. This was the only day I skipped lunch, somehow I wasn't hungry and was probably worried that if I eat anything, it would disturbed the otherwise only mild throbbing pain tummy.  Our driver dropped me to Qutb Minar from Humayun's Tomb. After letting me know where to look for him thereafter, I proceeded to buy tickets. There were bag checks and if your bag exceeds certain dimension, they would request that you deposit it. As we did not engaged the service of a guide in Delhi, I decided to get an audio guide. I was required to leave a form of ID and if you look at top right of the photo below, you'll see a time limit. The audio guide is to be returned to in two hours' time.

Audio guide loaded in a tablet
I sat on a bench to listen to the introduction of the audio guide. This Qutb Minar audio was presented in the form of story telling. There is one main character, a girl asking questions about the place and she was duly answered some elderly.

After getting through the entrance

View from first bench (I think) on the left after passing through the entrance
Qutb Minar is a soaring tower of 73 metres in height, making it the tallest stone tower in India. It was built in 1193 by Qutbud-Din Aibak immediately after the defeat of Delhi's last Hindu kingdom. 

The tower has five distinct storeys, each marked by a projecting balcony. The first three storeys are made of red sandstone, the fourth and fifth of marble and sandstone. Qutbud-Din Aibak has only managed to complete the first storey. The second, third and fourth storeys were completed by his successor Iltutmish. The fourth storey was dismantled and reconstructed with an additional storey after it was damaged by lightning.

Even though Qutb Minar is the highest stone tower in India, its height is 5 feet lesser than that of the Taj Mahal.

The has been some debates on the origin of Qutb Minar. Some said it was erected as a tower of victory to signify the beginning of the Muslim rule in India, while some believed it was served as a minaret to the muezzins to call the faithful to prayer. 





Next to this stone tower is the Quwwat-ul-Islam Mosque. Beautiful carvings decorated the pillars of this mosque. Even though this was a mosque, there were motifs of Hindu influence, such as tasselled ropes and bells. 



Aside from a stone tower, there's an iron pillar near the Quwwat-ul-Islam Mosque. This iron pillar is from the 4th-century, originally made as a flagstaff in Vishnu's honour. It is a tribute to ancient Indian metallurgy. 



If you think Qutb Minar is not tall enough, Ala-ud-Din Khalji has had the same thought long before. There is an unfinished minar started by him, twice the size of Qutb Minar named Alai Minar. The construction was not completed due to his demise. 

This is hardly the first storey...
And this last one, not of any historical story to it, but an Indian man requested that I took a photo for him at this site. He was doing those pose where he looked away to the left, those cool-posing thingy. Somehow after I helped him to take his picture, it ended up with we had a photo taken together as well. Another photo in some stranger's facebook page...


I left just before my two hours' was up. Mr driver was surprised I was away for so long. LOL. He drove me to see the Lotus Temple but it was already passed visiting hours so I only took some photos from outside the gate. The photos were not any good, in fact most parts were blocked by trees so I won't put it up here. 

Thereafter we stopped by a shop and I picked up a couple of magnets. I decided I should try to eat some food before flight but it was a bad, bad idea. By this time I was walking at some 45 degrees due to the ongoing cramp and just wanted to get to the airport. (Read: At least airport has easy access to heaps of toilets!). I was surprised I managed to hang on all the way to the airport. It was a long journey as it was pouring with rain and we were stuck in a bad traffic. I had to present my flight itinerary before they even let me in to the airport! = ="

I hereby extend my heartiest gratitude to the complimentary premium lounge. It made all the difference being able to have a shower after going on the road for the whole day and I was in such bad pain at that time. Such a shame I wasn't able to try all the food! :(

Grin, ya...so I actually left India in food poisoning mode. 


Side note: Back to pistachio cravings...

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. "left India in food poisoning mode."

    Haha sounds familiar. Hong Kong seems to get me every time I drop by. Last time I ended up in a hospital briefly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. eh? didn't realise food in HK has the same impact, food poisoning resulted in hospitalisation sounds serious!

      Delete