C25K

By Cubie - April 15, 2012

I first heard of this C25K (Couch to 5K) program from my Japanese classmate. She seems to have "lubang" about things, like how she heard about home stay from Australia Japan Society. Anyway, this program is has been designed to get just about anyone from the couch to running 5 kilometers or 30 minutes in just 9 weeks.

So, one fine day, the thought that I don't think I could complete a stress ECG make me think I should work my heart a little more. Not that there is any reason for me to undergo any stress ECG but I can't help thinking I probably could only last the first few minutes. How wrong I was. I found out that I can't even last a minute.

Reason being, the program started off run 5 minutes warm up, run 30 seconds, walk 45 seconds, run 45 seconds, walk 60 seconds, run 60 seconds, walk 90 seconds (repeat 3 times), then 5 minutes cool down. I remember panting like a doggie then and boy, one minute can be so long when you run. = ="

I thought to myself that if this thing really work, I'll blog it up :P ... hence this post. I actually bought an app, apparently there were a couple of them but somehow when I looked it up, I actually missed the one with the exact name "Couch to 5K" and actually got this one instead - Ease into 5K. Must be mata sepet. Somehow instead of 5K in 9 weeks, it actually fits it into 8 weeks.

I must say I was surprised it worked, considering I was panting like a doggie when I first started, and that was running for 30-60 seconds. In fact, I was worry that I would fail to continue the program, so I ran in my usual walking sneakers. I actually don't own any trainers/sports shoes after throwing away the old one in Europe. I told myself that if I can run 5km at the end of it, I would buy a pair of running shoes for the sake of the knees.... in a way, I have to earn it. Besides, if I stuck to it for 8 weeks, it would be a shame to go back to square one. A shopaholic friend said usually people will buy all the necessary gears (shoes, running attires, etc) to motivate them to exercise. But... I know myself better, just in case I hangat-hangat tahi ayam.


My colleague said no problem in spotting me from a mile away

Little P said, "Get a good pair of shoes but good shoes are expensive. Then again, knee cap surgery is even more expensive." Morbid.. but true, can't argue with that. So, my reward was the above Nike Lunarglide+ 3 Red/Silver. My very first red colour shoes. Thought I'll get something other than black and I don't quite fancy the black/purple ones.

I'm still pretty much a couch potato, I think... but maybe now am a couch potato who can run 5K. :)
Also am actually thinking I'll try to run further and longer now that I've got proper shoes.


Side note: Now I need VBA for Dummies...

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

2 comments