Nepal: A non trekking holiday

By Cubie - August 18, 2024



See the title of this post? I'll be upfront - I went to Nepal and didn't do any trekking. I felt kind of being judged for visiting Nepal and didn't hike. Especially when anyone knew that I flew to Nepal for a week from Australia, which wasn't a short flight. 

I am saving my annual leave for a longer time off work later of the year but I was told by my manager that I should cut down my annual leave earlier of the year before being told to be put on some annual leave management plan. Annual leave management plan means randomly take a day off every week till the annual leave allocation are reduced to an acceptable level based on the company policy. 

I had a look at the calendar and thought I can take the days off before or after the Good Friday - Easter Sunday long weekend. I haven't been to Nepal and I saw a good timing flight to Kathmandu, so this week long holiday happened. 


Visa
As a Malaysian (as well as citizens for many countries except India citizens), I needed a visa for entry to Nepal. Malaysians qualified for visa on arrival but to avoid any hassle on leaving the country or when entering Nepal. I chose to get a visa before my travel. There is a Consulate General of Nepal in Melbourne but on my visit, I was told to apply for an e-visa to avoid another visit as the person in charge of processing visa was out for lunch. 

I was lucked out and given a seat on the right of the plane from Chengdu to Kathmandu

I was asked to show a copy of my visa to Nepal on checking in at the Melbourne Airport so I was glad I have applied for it prior to my travel. Flight was with Sichuan Airlines which would get me to Kathmandu in the afternoon of Good Friday, maximising my time in Nepal. The return flight to Australia included a 8-hour transit in Chengdu. 


Nepalese Rupee
I withdrew cash from ATMs this trip. Unfortunately all ATMs seemed to charge a fee, ranging from NPR 500 to NPR 700. The ATMs I encountered that charged NPR500 were Global IME Bank and Standard Chartered Bank. 

There is a Standard Chartered Bank ATM amongst a row of ATM machines just next to the exit from the airport. After passing airport security check, walk straight on and through a passageway and go walk down the staircase. 


Local sim card
There is a sim card booth just opposite the last security check and you would probably see many people queueing there. I didn't have any cash at that time so I walked towards the passageway. There were 2 ATMs along the way but there were more ATMs further up (see above). 

I went to the Ncell booth and got the Tourist Plan B (main balance NPR 50, 50 minutes local calls, 10GB and valid for 7 days) costing NPR 500. I forgot to bring passport sized photos even though I have read that I would need them for sim card registration as well as for Kathmandu Square and Bhaktapur entrance tickets extension. As I didn't have any photos on me, Ncell took a picture of me using their mobile phone. 


Leaving the airport
The prepaid taxi stand is just across from Ncell booth and I was quoted NPR 850 to the guesthouse I've booked in Thamel. I read that if one walk out of the airport to the main road (about 5 minutes walk), the taxi fare might be cheaper around NPR 500-700. I went with the prepaid taxi and the price quoted seemed reasonable and my haggling skill is non-existence so I might pay the same amount anyway. 

There was a man who stood around the prepaid taxi stand (not the person who manned the counter). He walked me to a taxi and said that he will get someone to go with me Thamel to introduce me to his tour company. I declined his offer but someone still got in the taxi, sitting next to the driver. Interestingly, then a policeman spoke to this person and he got off the taxi. I am still unsure what verbal exchanged happened then.

M: morning, A: afternoon, E: evening, N: night

28/03, Day 00 - Overnight flight from Melbourne
29/03, Day 01 - Patan. Overnight in Kathmandu* (Mount Annapurna Guest House)
30/03, Day 02 - Panuati to Namobuddha hike. Overnight in Kathmandu*
31/03, Day 03 - Fly to Pokhara. Overnight in Sarangkot* (Sarangkot Hotel New Galaxy)
01/04, Day 04 - Pokhara* (Harry Guest House & Restaurant)
02/04, Day 05 - Bus to Bandipur* (Bandipur Samira Homestay)
03/04, Day 06 - Bus back to Kathmandu*
04/04, Day 07 - Kathmandu*
05/04, Day 08 - Bhaktapur* (Hotel Bhaktapur Inn)
06/04, Day 09 - Flight out of Kathmandu, transit in Chengdu
07/04, Day 10 - Arrived back in Melbourne
*referring to overnight stay


Side note: If only apps are updated at the same time across all operating system...

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments