Türkiye: A brief stop in Ayvalık

By Cubie - April 15, 2023


I initially wanted to get an earlier bus to Ayvalık but I accidentally asked for a ticket that departs at 12:25pm. Commute time was about 3 hours 50 mins, and I paid TL197. Turned out nicely that I have time to visit the Ephesus Museum. I also forgot to pack lunch this round but I did have a free breakfast from the hotel and figs from Casa Kallinos' owner. I checked out earlier from the hotel that I stayed in, the one along the highway. The kind staff from the bus ticket counter allowed me to deposit my backpack till bus departure time. 

Needless to say I was starving by the time I arrived in Ayvalık. I managed to ask a couple of people as to which bus I could take to get to town. It was a little tricky as the ones I approached didn't speak English and I don't speak Turkish. I did show them the address I wanted to get to. Someone pointed me to a bus, he said something to the bus driver after I showed him the hotel address, I got on and paid TL5. I don't know if that was the actual bus fare because credit card didn't work but the driver didn't give me any change. 

I loaded up Google maps and the bus was going to the opposite direction of where I wanted to get to but I figured, let's have a bit more faith. If I ended up too far, I could get off and get a taxi. Good news was I didn't have to, the bus did go by where the hotel was located. 

After I checked in, I got a whatsapp message from the hotel that provided me a list of places of interest and eating places. I picked one randomly that mentioned fish because I wanted to try papalina (European sprat) which is a speciality in Ayvalık. 

On arrival in Ayvalık, I wasn't impressed. All I could see was a very high traffic main road to a port town, not particularly remarkable. As I started to search for the restaurant that I short-listed, I realised this port town has its charm. Wandering a block or two from the main road, lies an old Greek village with colourful shuttered doors, cafes, eating places, drinking places, etc. 

Back to my hunt of papalina, my search of the shortlisted restaurant was unsuccessful. I gave up after going around in circles for three times and randomly walked in to a shop that has a very unassuming sign board that mentioned food in the front of a shop. I looked inside and 2 tables were occupied and all were drinking some alcoholic beverage. 

It has just passed 6pm but nobody was eating. I walked in and asked, "Are you open for dinner?" 
They were, and as a bonus, I was greeted by a dashing waiter, whose vibes reminded me of Tom Hiddleston. 

I asked him, "It's dinner time right? How come nobody is eating?" He laughed, then said, "Welcome to Ayvalık." 

I chose a seat closest to the water and ordered papalina (of course), a salad for vege quota and orange juice. 


The dishes were great but it was stressful eating fishes in Türkiye - there were always cats wandering around. 

I was accompanied by spectacular sunset. 


I asked for the bill after the sun had set. I walked passed the next table to pay at the counter, it so happened the next table was occupied by the owner of the eatery who then invited me to have a drink. Haha. Welcome to Ayvalık I guess. I had a Raki (of course) served with chilled water. The waitstaff also brought out melon and feta - must have with Raki. 

I wasn't in Ayvalık for a long time, just enough time to wander around a little and got Ayvalık toast. 







I definitely didn't have enough time in Ayvalık, especially since I didn't even made it to Cunda. 


Side note: Restaurant name - Muhteremin Yeri, Sardalya Balik Evi, Fevzipasa Mh. Muhabbet Sk Ataturk Bulv 2 Ara No: 3 (Eski Bilfern Dersanesi) Ayvalik

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments