VIC: Day trip to Castlemaine/Maldon

By Cubie - April 09, 2022


In need of a holiday but I wasn't organised enough to plan for the Good Friday long weekend break. By the time I got to looking up anything, there were all getting too expensive. So I decided on a day trip on a Sunday (nonetheless) on a normal weekend. Not public holiday, not long weekend. I did try to coincide it with a local market which happens first Sunday of every month but i was short on time and didn't even end up visiting the market. Ha! So much for all the planning. 

As I started to search for possible day trip options, I stumbled upon Castlemaine. Castlemaine is a former gold mining town in the Goldfields region about 120 kilometres northwest from Melbourne. It is only an hour and a half train ride away from Melbourne. As I wanted to maximise on things to do, I decided to make the trip on the first Sunday of the month. 

I only have 4 items for the day trip but only managed 2.5 of them? Anyway, here are all 4 if anyone is interested. 


It is like a hub for those looking for art, vintage stuff and food. Historically it was a woollen mill back in 1875. I didn't have a lot of time to poke my noise in all the places but worth a visit. I was seated next to the chimney when I had my meal in Das Kaffeehaus. 





On reading that it is Viennese coffee house serving traditional Austrian food, I am sold - will have food there and that was my first stop on arrival. 

I don't usually have cream with my coffee but can't go past Vienna coffee (double shot with cream). All these were my brunch - cheese kransky served with roll, warm sauerkraut and mustard AND a toppenstrudel. They don't look big but I was stuffed! Food was delicious and my bursting tummy was happy. 






This was a little pricey at $50 for a return tickets to Maldon. The ride was about 50 minuties-ish ride one way. I had the whole compartment to myself, in fact the couple from the next compartment moved themselves to the next compartment so there was definitely no issues with social distancing. I bought the ticket when I was there as I wasn't sure if I would be able to make it in time plus the risk of not able to peel myself off the bed for commuting. I was at 43BPL!


Windows can be opened plus the numbers of passengers that day, I feel excusion class ticket was fun. Taken before I found out how to navigate the windows, hence the reflection. Ha!








Maldon
Maldon is also a gold mining historical town and said to be perfectly preserved since its mining days. It is noticably smaller than the rest of the historical gold mining towns that I have been. We have about 2.5 hours to wander around Maldon before the train back to Castlemaine. As it coincide with lunch time, I guess most would have a bite? I was still very full from brunch, so I got myself an ice-cream for lunch. 






Plus the one I missed - Castlemaine Farmers Market that runs on the first Sunday of every month from 9am to 1pm. Or if you hit Maldon on second Sunday of every month, you will find the Maldon Market from 9am to 1.30pm. Next time, maybe. 


Side note: Any plans for Good Friday - Easter Sunday long weekend?

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments