Nagasaki 長崎: Transport, Stay and Orientation

By Cubie - May 04, 2019

About to land in Fukuoka Airport
My travel dates weren't made to coincide with cherry blossoms as I was aware that it was likely too late for it especially since I was heading to Kyushu. However, when I noticed that I could possibly made it to see some wisterias, I left Fukuoka as my last stop.

Getting to Nagasaki from Fukuoka Airport
I decided to take the bus from the international terminal that would go all the way to Nagasaki city bus terminal. I took the 11:02 bus run by Nishitetsu, ¥2,570 and arrived in Nagasaki after 151 minutes. Bus information center where I bought my ticket was just right across when the arrival gate, and bus stop was outside. Bus to Nagasaki stops at bus stop 3.


Alternatively, if you prefer the train, can take the free bus shuttle to the domestic terminal, followed by a subway (Kuko Line) to the Hakata Station, then shinkansen. Or a bus to Hakata Station before transferring to the shinkansen at Hakata Station.

Nagasaki Streetcar
Nagasaki bus terminal isn't far from the train station, somewhat across the road. Not literally across but you can actually see it so won't get lost. I crossed over to the train station, collected my JR Northern Kyushu 5-day Pass and made reservations for the trains that I wanted. Opposite the JR train office is the tourist information office where I bought a One-Day Pass for Streetcar for ¥500. One trip on the streetcar is at a fixed rate of ¥130. The price was recently revised, an increase from ¥120 for adult.



The pass is a tri-fold pamphlet and it shows the full streetcar map route when unfold. It is a bit big but I like the idea that I don't have to fumble through another piece of map. Get on the streetcar from the rear door, exit from the front and show the driver the pass before getting off.

When folded up


HafH Sai
It took me awhile to remember the name for this hostel. I had to look up the name every single time I wanted to do a search till when I got to Nagasaki and saw that HafH means Home away from Home. It is mentioned on their website but I must've missed it.

It is based on co-working space concept. The place is comfortable and modern. There's a cafe on the first floor (Japanese don't use ground floor) and I was given a coupon to redeem my breakfast. I was assigned to the second floor. On their website, it is mentioned that second floor is for short stay users.

Living area on second floor

Living area on third floor
I was assigned to an upper bunk bed, the one in the middle. Although the photo looks like it is a capsule but the top is not closed. I like that hostels in Japan usually comes with a separate "living area", in this case there there's a curtain even though it is a dorm. There were open shelves inside and one with a door that could be locked. The locked cupboard is big enough for me to stuff my backpack in. It was equipped with a reading light and two power outlets.

I was in the upper middle cabin

The right side from the "opening hole"

The left side. Pardon the messiness
Great location with 2 tram stops on different line within walking distance. I took Line 3 (Red) from Nagasaki Station to Civic Hall (stop 45) and walked to the hostel. The walk was less than 10 minutes. An even nearer tram stop is the Meganebashi Bridge (stop 37) on Line 4 (yellow) and 5 (green). Many cafes around and Bellenade Shopping Arcade is just across the street diagonally.


If I am to be pedantic, climbing out needs a bit to get used to as the steps were to the side. I didn't fall but hands and legs coordination felt a little weird especially considering I'm kind of clumsy to begin with. Another thing was the room lock. Each time someone opens and closes the door, it's auto lock function includes a melody to indicate that. Imagine if the room is full house and many people go in and out... They were very minor issues but I thought note them down. I would recommend this hostel if one is looking for a place to stay when travelling to Nagasaki.

Breakfast next morning was this. I chose chocolate croissant from 4 different types of danish pastry and coffee. It certainly looked overly chocolatey but wasn't, definitely helped that it wasn't as sweet as usual chocolate croissant too.

I initially thought it was beetroot


Side note: Should give Lune Croissanterie now that it is open in the cbd.

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments