The first 24 hours in Bangkok

By Cubie - January 15, 2017

I have just realised someone was posing for me in the photo... don't know who that was... 
Long, long time ago, Thailand was associated with voodoo, no thanks to all the movies back then and my mother's nerves. Despite growing up in north of Malaysia, I have not been to Thailand, not even Hatyai which was only about 2 hours away from my hometown. My first visit to this neighbour country of Malaysia was in 2006. Many Malaysians probably visit Thailand once every few years or even once a year. This was my second trip to Bangkok, after a long ten years. That's a scary thought, isn't it? I mean ten years.

Ten years ago, I travelled with a friend. Ten years later, this friend is now living in Bangkok. What's better than to include a visit since I am back to the good old South East Asia. As I have been to the usual touristy spot albeit a decade back, I just want to eat and walkabout. I left it all to my awesome friend for his recommendations.

First order of the day - food! In my probably dazed state, I thought we were going to have lunch, then back to his place before heading out again so I left my camera in his apartment. My friend had other plans. It was food and walkabout till night. I decided to let it be and asked my friend to loan me his phone to take photos when I want to... hahaha. Imagine me putting out my palm, not for money for to borrow his phone and yes, we are still friends. Hahah.


Chicken rice at a road side stall in Silom, if my record is correct, 2 plates for 120 baht
We had the main meal, so next up was Shibuya Honey Toast at After You Dessert Cafe. We went to the branch in Silom Complex and there was no queue at all. Maybe was our good timing. I don't remember the cost, my friend picked up the tab for this.


After keeping the tummies happy, he brought me to a museum. I have not been to this one, whilst I am not very big on museums but it was an interesting museum. My friend called it the Multimedia Museum but after asking the old-wise-Google, I think the full name is Rattanakosin Exhibition Hall. Entrance fee was 100 baht / ~RM 13 / ~AUD 4. Audio guide was free but not a complete guide; however maybe because I was the only one who don't understand Thai language, the staffs would come over to give me some explanations of the exhibition.

At the time of visit, there were two different exhibition. We did the one showing interactive multimedia giving information on history, arts and culture of the Rattanakosin era and the past kings. Photography is allowed but as I was playing along with the multimedia exhibition, I didn't really take any photo along the way. There is also an observation area on the upper floor.



After I bought the tickets (my friend entered for free due to a train card, I think) but before the start of the exhibition tour, we went to have an early tea time. Haha, yes, there was a lot of eating. According to my friend, this was a popular place called Mont Nom Sod. These two pieces of toasts cost 40 baht / ~RM 5 / ~AUD 1.60. I know they don't really look appetising but they were delicious. The one in yellow was corn cream soup and the one in green is pandan kaya. I picked the pandan one and my friend chose the other. When he told me he wanted the corn cream soup toast, I gave him a suspicious look and even asked him if he was sure that was what he wanted. Surprisingly it was good, my apologies for being skeptical. :P


We didn't order any drinks (friend said it was the bread that was famous) but picked up a coffee each from the road side. It was good coffee, mm.. actually any coffee is good after spending 2 weeks in Sri Lanka.

After a couple of hours at the Rattanakosin Exhibition Hall, we walked around the old city area towards the metal temple first because we were unsure if the temple was closing soon. Metal temple or Loha Prasat, located in the grounds of Wat Ratchanaddaram is an impressive structure. At a glance, the obvious difference is the black metal unlike the rest of the temple. I was told though that works are being done to cover the black metal with gold. Personally I prefer the raw black metal colour. I didn't go in to the temple as I was in shorts and t-shirt, and wasn't sure if I was dressed appropriately.


From there we backtracked to the opposite direction, passing Democracy Monument then towards the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration City Hall.


Bangkok aka Krung Thep Mahanakhon Amon Rattanakosin Mahinthara Ayuthaya Mahadilok Phop Noppharat Ratchathani Burirom Udomratchaniwet Mahasathan Amon Piman Awatan Sathit Sakkathattiya Witsanukam Prasit
Crossed the road from here to the Giant Swing and continue onwards to Rommaninat Park. 



We took a cab to the Chao Phraya River side after that and walked a bit before settled for dinner at one of the restaurants. I don't know the name of the restaurant but my friend referred this as touristy eating place, after all it has river view.




After drinks dinner was just downstairs from here, we just picked one of the stalls and sat on the bench. Haha.


Side note: I was going to write 48 hours in Bangkok but I got too long winded, so I changed it to this current title. Haha

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments