Along the Yarra River

By Cubie - April 21, 2014


I wrote about my usually running route in Sydney a couple of year ago, at the magnificent Sydney Harbour Bridge. After my move to Melbourne, I ran jogged/walked around the neighbourhood along Merri Creek.

After a few failed attempts to move my butt out of the house early enough on Saturdays morning and after work, also many urges from my colleague, I decided to try this lunch time running thingy. It is kind of lunch time running in a way as I skipped lunch. However I do go out probably an hour or so before lunch time to beat the other lunch time running crowd to avoid having to queue for bathroom.


Anyway, since this would be on a working day, my current running.. umm jogging (and hopefully) non walking route is along part of Yarra River. I started off running with my colleague for a while but of late he takes off without me, said that he wanted some quiet time (*gasp* I must've been noisy :|) I hope I didn't get myself into his little black book, maybe just too slow for his demon-possessed-running-speed.


On one of the days I went running alone, I stopped and took some photos. If I was to run with my colleague and stopped every so often to take a shot, I suspect he might just push me off the river bank. :P

This river is situated just right next to one of the busiest train station, Flinders Station in CBD. This is nowhere as glamorous as the Sydney Harbour Bridge but it does feel like an oasis in the middle of the city. Of course, the nearer stretch to the station is much busier.


Sometimes I stop for a drink on one of the water fountains along the river. Often times, this is how my brain thinks before the brief stop...
"Hey, let's stop for a quick drink..."
"Surely you are not thirsty yet, don't stop, got to continue running to keep the momentum."
"If you don't have a drink, you might get headache from not enough water..."
"It's only a little stop.."
"You probably run faster after some water.."

And so, most of the time I stop for a little drink if I'm running alone *shifty eyes*


This bridge here is called Morell Bridge, it is where I make a U-turn back. It also means that I'm half way finish at this point ^ ^

Morell Bridge - connecting Royal Botanic Gardens and Olympic Park Precinct
I turned right to head back towards the CBD.

Leading up to Royal Botanic Gardens
And from there, look left
and, look right
I thought I may have accidentally had too many stops by this time and have better buck up and start sprinting back (har har) so I didn't take a lunch too long...

...till I saw this and thought, what's a couple more photos eh? ;)





And the last photo I took during the run from Swan Street Bridge, it had potential to be a better photo but my camera was a tad too slow to load... hence, it looked like this. This is enjoying Yarra River to the max - be it along the river or at the river itself. There are also some tourist boats travelling up and down the river as well.




Side note: Time to have more hot cross bun - choc ones of course :P

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. Lucky you!

    How envious I am of you to have such lovely running route!

    Never mind.. I have my carpark to run around. huhuhu

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh well - carpark has shed, can run rain or shine! ;)

      Delete