A different Kamakura

By Cubie - December 24, 2009

Kamakura is just an hour train ride from Tokyo. As we travelled from Shinjuku, we hopped to Shinagawa and took the JR Yokosuka line to Kamakura. Kamakura is a significant change from Tokyo, one can't miss the small town, cosy feel to it, a vast different from the busy, lively Tokyo.


From Kamakura station, one could opt to walk, take the bus or the train to the Kotokuin Temple where the Great Buddha is. We took the walking option. it was not really cold that day, so instead of wearing, I took off and had to carry the big puffy jacket on our walk there.

Along the way, we passed this old school railway track. Reminded me of the one in Teluk Wanjah back home.


We soon reached Kotokuin Temple (Kamakura Daibutsu). I am not too sure if it is due to the fact that we went on a Saturday, there are quite a lot of people visiting Kamakura as well. As we approached the Daibutsu, despite the place still very much homely but the crowd doesn't really reflect so.

Paid for our entrance tickets, I can't really remember how much it is but acccording to the guide pamplet, it is 200 yen.



There is also option to view the inside of the big Buddha with a small fee, I cant remember how much it is, probably also 200 yen or only 20 yen. However there seriously isn't much to see inside, aside from going down a very narrow staircase - one line down and one line up.


Thereafter I dragged the tour guide to grab some 鳩サブレ (Hato Sable) pigeon shaped cookies.


Didn't really think it's delicious when I tried the sample small piece of it but somehow when I bite on the big piece that we bought home... yummy!



Side note: Somehow I think train rides make people sleepy *ponder

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments