VIC: Of Beechworth and Gorge Walk

By Cubie - January 29, 2022

Beechworth has a well-preserved historical town, also in the north-east direction of Victoria. It was just an hour away from Bright by car/bus. As of 2016, Beechworth had a population of about 3,800. 


Beechworth Historic & Cultural Precinct

Beechworth Historic Courthouse

Old Beechworth Gaol

Likely many other towns, Beechworth was a gold producing region in the past, circa 1852-1857. Walking around Beechworth, one would see many references to Ned Kelly - an Australian bushranger, outlaw, gang leader and convicted police-murderer. He was known for wearing a suit of bulletproof armour in his final shootout with the police. Kelly was trialed at the Beechworth Historic Courthouse and held in the Beechworth Gaol

I rocked up to the Tourist Information Center and they prompted offered me a map. The 2 staffs in the center were very friendly and offered options of things to do. It was a hot day so their recommendations on the particular day of my visit was - ice-cream, cooling down at the Lake Sambell Reserve, visit the Bilson's for free cordials, indoor options of museum or courthouse


Whilst I didn't enter any of the historical sites, I saw this Telegraph Station just next to the courthouse. One could send a message by telegram from this Historic Telegraphy Station by morse code to anywhere in Australia at the cost of $2. I think that's pretty cool. 



Beechworth Gorge Walk


Probably not thinking right due to the heat, I did none of those (except the ice-cream). I decided to do the Beechworth Gorge Walk. It wasn't too long, just 6km and should take about 2.5 hours. It felt much longer though, possibly due to the heat. 

Saw another echidna at the beginning of my walk and got pretty excited. Me, not the echidna. 


I was the only crazy who walk the Gorge Walk, I did not meet anyone on foot. There were cars, less than 10 but all stopped at The Cascades. When I was at this 'lookout' place, a car slowed down but didn't stop. 



Can you see the 'The Three Sisters' sign? I had a good laugh, you might if you heard of the other Three Sisters in the Blue Mountains.  


This was where the others headed to, The Cascades. When I walked passed, there were 3 cars parked at this area.  



I continued my walk back to the historic center. By this time I was motivated by promise of ice-cream at the end of the walk. 


Ford Street / Camp Street



Most of the shops were closed by evening. I decided to go for a walk after dinner, it was definitely more quiet, less people and not hot at this time. 



Lake Sambell
 


I made it to Lake Sambell but the sun has set. When I got back to Camp Street, just managed to catch the last light before it got dark. 






Beechworth Honey Discovery



Beechworth Honey Discovery is located in the historic Bank of NSW and provides information on honey and bees. I just happened to walk pass as it was just next to my accommodation in Beechworth. There is a separate honey shop at the end of Ford Street. 

Food
I feel that food options in Beechworth is less than Bright. Appears that the most popular ones are Provenance and The Ox and Hound Bistro. I attended neither but went in to Provenance to pick up a bottle of Orchard amaro


Turmeric potatoes in spinach curry sauce, mustard pickled cauliflower and steamed rice, AUD 26

A sustainable Sri Lankan food in Beechworth. I had the specials for lunch the day I arrived, and while it was tasty, I thought it could be priced more economically.  


Beechworth Ice-creamery

Honeycomb & boysenberry, AUD 6.60

Treat promised after Gorge Walk under the hot sun. Outlet looked very similar to the one in Bright, as well as the pricing. This is small cup with options of 2 flavours. 



Chicken schnitzel, AUD 24

Regular pub food of schnitzel plus lemon lime bitters (AUD 5.30) for dinner. One can choose the sauce and 2 sides. I asked for pepper sauce with sides of chips and vegetables. Service was very fast. 



Ironbark honey & macadamia ice-cream, AUD 4

I picked up the limited edition mini trio (45g x 3) to try. Saw some honey ice-cream in the freezer and thought, why not? Crossed the road and enjoyed my ice-cream in the shade. 


The Beechworth Sweet Company

Absolute choc fudge, AUD 5.40 (~100g)

I forgot a picture before I cut into it. Minimum purchase for fudge is 100g, which is about 1 piece. This is too sweet for my liking, so not a fan. The rest of the options look even sweeter, so I don't know. 


Beechworth Bakery
The original Beechworth Bakery in Beechworth of course. I went into one in Echuca but didn't quite enjoyed my selection then but these two that I picked up were delicious!

I almost wanted to keep and eat the focaccia in the train but thankfully I didn't because it was packed plus another passenger helped me put the bag up at the overhead storage area which was way too high for me. In fact I also left my earphones in my backpack and had to endure the whole train ride without any music to keep myself entertained. 

So this was eaten by sitting by the roadside, behind a bus stop while waiting for my bus to Wangaratta before changing to a train. 

Bushranger (Tender roast beef, onion, sundried tomato, roast pumpkin, baby spinach, cheese & fruit chutney), AUD 9.80

Apple square, AUD 4.20


Breakfast was included in the room fee so I had those which were toasts, cereal, coffee, orange juice and biscuits. 


Side note: Photos not taken in the order of the post...

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. I went to Bright in fall for the chestnut picking and then we also came here. Reading about your trip definitely brings back the good memories....those good old travelling days. Maybe its time to make another trip down under. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete