Shanghai: Big crowd in Yu Gardens and Bazaar

By Cubie - July 07, 2013

Carving detail in Yu Garden
I had two and a half days in Shanghai, day 1 in Shanghai was actually Qing Ming Festival, which is a public holidays in China. Day 1 in Shanghai was done as a day trip from Wuxi but I opted to stay overnight for day 2, just so that I could see Shanghai at night and avoid the hassle of moving my luggage around on the last half day.

We (my friend and I) left Wuxi for Shanghai in the morning and made our way to Yu Garden area. Friend was most hospitable, he also volunteered to be my guide in Shanghai and even took a day off work. Friend knows his way around, and travel like an expat (nonetheless), therefore my knowledge of transportation in Shanghai is zero. He even passed me a metro card for the subway, so I didn't even queue up to get tickets for the subway. The part where I comment my friend travel like an expat? Ha, there were a few times we just take a taxi to get around, something that I usually avoid when travelling as I unconciously equate taxi to pricey (except to and fro airport, etc). I was told that taxi charges in Shanghai is one of the highest in China.

Anyway, I digress, back to Yu Gardens.


Yu Garden (or Yuyuan, 豫园) is a famous classical garden from Ming Dynasty. This garden was built by a government officer named Pan Yunduan for his parents as a place to enjoy a tranquil and happy time in their old age. A lot of restoration works has been done on this garden since it first built in Ming Dynasty. It was open to the public in 1961.


See, I told you.. it was crowded. It was probably the most crowded garden I visited in China. 
Huge rockery
Dragon wall

This dragon was said to have only four claws and not five, as so not to incur the emperor's wrath.



Next to the garden, one can find old-style buildings in the Yu Gardens bazaar. The shops in this bazaar are somewhat a tourist trap but there are heaps of things to see.



Our other destination in this area is 南翔馒头店 (Nanxiang Steamed Bun Shop). This place is notoriously known for its long queue for 小笼包 (xiǎolóngbāo) takeaway. Like I mentioned above, my friend travels like an expat (he is afterall an expat working in China :P) brought me to second floor. This restaurant has 3 storey - level is where they handle takeaway, level 2 and 3 are sit down diner, by different price range. This means that one has to spend a minimum of certain price per person. Price tier for level 3 is higher than for level 2.

Just as Peking duck is the thing to eat in Beijing, Shanghai is famous for it's xiǎolóngbāo. Great breakfast to kick start the day, washed down with a pot of Longjing tea.

蟹黄白玉卷 (Crab roll)
 
招牌小笼 (xiǎolóngbāo)
 
香辣蟹肉小笼 (Crab meat dumplings)

椒盐腰果酥 (Cashew flaky biscuit) & 蟹黄灌汤虾球 (Prawn & Crab ball)


干贝蛋丝盅 (Scallop and egg soup)

龙井 (Longjing Tea)


Side note: Of late, I feel like whistling.. wonder why.. LOL

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

7 comments

  1. Your visit to Yu Garden reminded me of a fellow blogger, Twilight Man who visited it too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. "This dragon was said to have only four claws and not five, as so not to incur the emperor's wrath."

    Why would five claws make the emperor angry?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah.. I believe that's because the five claws were reserved for the use of the emperor and it is a capital offence for anyone else to use it. Four clawed dragon for noble people or highly ranked officials, then come the three clawed ones for lower rank officials and general public

      Delete
  3. You didn't mention how the Xiaolongbao tasted! Were they much better than XLB elsewhere?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were very good! But I have not tried any other XLB in China so it is hard to make comparison in that sense :(

      Delete
    2. Then it's worth the trip!

      Delete