Beijing: Water Cube meets Bird's Nest

By Cubie - June 05, 2013

This is not Water Cube, as it is not cubic
Beijing National Stadium and Beijing National  Aquatics Center or more affectionately known as the Bird's Nest (鸟巢 Niǎocháo) and Water Cube (水立方 Shuǐ Lì Fāng).

This is not cubic either but this is the Water Cube

Both buildings were impressive in its on way, and given is outstanding structural outlook, I would say that if you have seen a picture of them before, you won't mistook them as some other building.

Water Cube and Bird's Nest were built in Olympic Green for the 2008 Summer Olympics. They are easily accessible via subway, get off at either Olympic Sports Center Station or Olympic Green. I personally think the walking distance from Olympic Sports Centre Station to the two centres are nearer. Oh ya, there's a security check on both entrance gate prior to entering to the park.

It's green, it's blue
I heard that Water Cube changes colour but I was not as lucky. I happened to have photos of two different colours, because.... I went on two separate days. Initially I went by myself after dinner on the day we went to Tiantan as sis was not feeling well. She went back to hostel to have an early rest after a scrumptious Peking duck dinner. As she was feeling much better following a good walk in Mutianyu Great Wall the next day, so I went with her, a second time for me ^ ^

This place is really spreadout, so it makes a good walk after a hearty meal though I'm not too sure my legs agree with that especially when we walked so much during the day as well. LOL


The other building in the same park is Linglong Tower (玲珑塔). It is regarded as a special information centre, where broadcast company can reports updates of competitons in both the Bird's Nest and Water Cube. Ok, this one changes colour ok. I didn't go for four days consecutively. :P


Side note: Long weekend coming up!

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. Those two buildings are sure very interesting and intriguing.

    Would love to see or visit but maybe can't go with hubby. He's banned China from our travel list since 1997! LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are, and there's no way one could missed them once in the area.

      It has been awhile, any chance he changed his mind already? ;)

      Delete