Beijing: On my solo day

By Cubie - June 11, 2013


Sis took a night flight on Saturday, departing Beijing and I traveled to Wuxi a day after sis, so that left me with about half a day by myself in Beijing. There are a couple of places I could go, given that we have not covered that. The three main ones - Mansion of Prince Gong (恭王府; Gōng Wáng Fǔ), Yuyuantan Park (玉渊潭公园) and Beijing Zoo.

Mansion of Prince Gong was said to be Beijing's best preserved and most complete example of historic mansion. However, I gave that a miss and went for Yuyuantan Park. I argued that since I was in China at a supposedly cherry blossom season, and news were going on with the starting of Cherry Blossom Festival, I might as well give it a go.

25th Yuyuantan Cherry Blossom Festival
The 25th Yuyuantan Cherry Blossom Festival kicked off on 23rd March 2013. I was there on the last day of March, so I was hopeful. I got to Yuyuantan Park by Subway Line 1, and exited at Military Museum Station, and walked towards China Millennium Monument. Technically, I just followed the crowd, there were no shortage of people visiting the park. It was at this park that I realised they sell annual tickets, but of course, I paid for my single entry ticket, RMB 10 due to the festival.

Festival in full blast
There were many stalls selling food, toys and little things, and families came in full throng to support the flower festival. This part of the festival did not disappoint, but the flowers were picking dates to make a grand entrance. That, translated to - me seeing many bare trees.

Trees without flowers
That being said, there were some blossoming flowers and the park itself is rather scenic, though not as good as the gardens in Summer Palace.  

Flowers against greyish sky - not very exciting
 
Some of the early arrival flowers
 

Other trees

Mirror image
And I just have to put this one up. When we first saw this (I think in Yuanmingyuan), sis queried if the candy is to be eaten... after all, the peddlar blowed and sculptured the candy.

Candy blowing

When I saw it again in Yuyuantan Park, I overheard the mother (who paid for this candy) told her son not to eat it.

Considering that I had some time left, I decided to check out those cute pandas in Beijing Zoo. I only had enough time to see the pandas, or I would missed my flights, so I was disciplined this round and did not end up poking my nose into other things.


Getting to the zoo was easy - Subway Line 4, getting off at Dong Wu Yuan Station. Combo ticket (entrance including Panda House) at RMB 15 due to off peak season.


Young panda

Older panda


Side note: Short week!

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

4 comments

  1. I've just realized that I associate China with plum blossoms, not cherry blossoms.

    Japan = cherry blossom winner. China = panda winner. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think China is more towards plum blossoms in a way.
      Pandas are adorable ;)

      Delete
  2. Awwwww Panda!

    Looking at your photos, I'm feeling the Spring chill here. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Does that cool down Malaysian heat a little? ;)

      Delete