Chiang Mai: Temples outside Moat Area

By Cubie - December 12, 2012

Ha. You don't think I've done with those temples, do you? Anyway, not that many more to go. At least the ones I went.

Wat Ou Sai Com วัดอู่ทรายคำ เมืองเชียงใหม่

I came to this wat on my walk to Warorot Market and thought, why not?

Wat Ou Sai Com is the home to the Jade Buddha. According to it's own website, the Abbot of Wat Ou Sai Com and leader of this project, found a very large Jade boulder was found in Myanmar. This boulder was then carved into a finished Buddha statue by a professional hand carver. This carved Jade Buddha statue is the largest Myanmar Jadeite in Thailand.

I remember humming a very old song of Grasshopper 草蜢 when I visit this temple after hearing the music box version of the song in one of the wat. Can't remember which temple or which song but pretty sure that song is originally a Thai song :)




This drawing on the wall, reminded me of a similar one in a temple in Alor Setar.


Bosang Temple

I know Bosang is famous for its umbrella and I didn't make the trip on purpose to see the temple there. Truth to be told, I was disappointed with what Bosang offered, I walked the whole stretch of road and even popped in to the temple, to make most of the trip.




Wat Umong

Wat Umong deserves a post by it's own but I figured 3 temple posts on a 3 and 1/2 days trip is probably a more than enough :P

Wat Umong (complete name: Wat Umong Suan Puthatham) is a 700 year old Buddhist temple in Chiang Mai. Wat Umong means "Monastery with tunnels". It needs a little travel to get there as it is located outside the city center off Cherng Doi Road.

I was silly, as I initially thought the temple  was closed by 4pm which is not the case. I saw on a website stating its phone number and call only from 8.30 am to 4 pm and mistook that the temple closes at that time. It probably doesn't even have an exact closing time as Wat Umong complex consists of 37.5 rai (15 acres) of wooded grounds.

Due to my misunderstanding of the closing hour, I almost miss going to this temple. I took a risk and went before going to the airport. Lady luck was smiling down at me, I was lucky to be able to flagged down, haggled and got on a songthaew which took me to Wat Umong, waiting for me for 30 mins and then sent me to the airport. I paid 180 baht. I asked the reception upon checking out the approximate fare to get to Wat Umong and he told me 120 baht, I don't think this include waiting time, and I can't remember 120 baht is one way or return fare. Logically, it would be for return fare. I paid 180 baht, in considering of waiting time, and the travel onward to airport.

If I had the luxury of time, I would prefer to spend more time but didn't want to miss my flight at 9.10 am. I can't be too early either as it would be too dark and I need to check out before leaving. Good thing was that I have already checked in my flight. Grin.

Of all the temples I've been in Chiang Mai, hands down, this temple has got to be my favourite of all.
It feels serene, peaceful and definitely different from the rest.









Side note: Hope this round of zz can sleep off the throbbing headache ^_^

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. I'm curious about the third last photo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lina,
    That photo was on The Fasting Buddha, representing the Buddha at the end of his long fasting period before he gained enlightenment.

    I should've describe the photos better :)

    ReplyDelete