Homemade Satay

By Cubie - June 08, 2009

Story begins with office having an International Food Day, taking advantage of colleagues from different countries. One of my colleague who also came from Malaysia suggested that she will make satay and asked if I am alright to make the sauce. Oh well... I dont even have to think what to make, I'm happy with the idea, despite I have no absolute idea how to make the satay sauce. However colleague offered idea that I could get them off the shelf from asian grocer or even Malaysian food stalls near the office. As there is backup plan ready (in fact I like the idea of the one from asian grocer...), so satay sauce it is.

However when I brought up the idea of buying those can satay sauce, someone objected. Said I should try making, only if it doesnt turn out, then I could buy. Even offered to make a chicken dish to test my satay sauce. Emmm...

Anyway, I must have been crazy cos I offered to make the full fare of Malaysian chicken satay together with the satay sauce and top it up with nasi himpit as experiment. Huge mistake. It is not an easy task, especially that to begin with... I am not a good cook, and secondly, I dont have a blender. In fact, I dont even have a mortar and pestle. However, friend has a mortar and pestle which I could borrow (which I did) but it was those cute little ones...

So... that was the story of me making satay for the first time, together with the sauce... strangely enough it was the nasi himpit that didnt work out. LOL, in fact it turn out like porridge, maybe cos I didnt "himpit" it.

It was totally hard work... the recipe itself was not difficult (got it from here and here)... but the pounding with mortar and pestle... not something I want to do again. Umm....




Side note: There are many good cooks who kindly blog up recipes :)

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments