New Caledonia: Things to do in Ile des Pins

By Cubie - November 03, 2023


Known as Kunié to the Melanesians, Ile des Pins is an island 110km southest of Noumea. Vao is the administrative centre and Kuto is the main tourist area. 

The top item I wanted to do in Ile des Pins is pirogue excursion from Baie des Pirogues to Baie d'Upi, optional 25-30 minutes walk to reach Oro Bay and onwards to the Piscine Naturalle (natural pool). It was the pirogue excusion that piqued my interested but I only have 1 day for this. I landed in Ile des Pins after the departure. On the only day I could made it, turned out that I was the only one who signed up and didn't cancel. So the excursion was cancelled. 


I had about two full days in Ile des Pins but it rained the whole day on day 1. I was a motivated visitor and walked out to Ile des Pin's main village, Vao, 5km away despite the weather. I didn't walk the whole 5km though, I was offered a lift both ways. I usually declined any rides offer (with some exceptions in Jordan), but Ile des Pins felt safe, possibly of the village feel. I was grateful with the rides. 


Catholic Church
Established by the Marist priest Father Goujon, this 19th century Catholic church dominates Vao. 



Statue of St Maurice
This status, located at Baie de St Maurice, commemorates the arrival of the first missionaries on the island, it is also a war memorial. 






La Piscine Naturelle
Pirogue excursion did not happen but another couple wanted to go to the Piscine Naturelle and that I could join them if I want to. A driver dropped us at the car park, told us to follow the trail, crossed a small river and we will be there. Return shuttle to Oro Bay was 2100 XPF. 

What we didn't expect was that the river looked like this. I was in my slippers as I don't own reef shoes. It was ok on the way there, but my slippers got off my feet twice on our way back. Luckily I didn't have to chase my floating slipper for too far. 

There is an option of going all the way via water route, if you follow the direction of the sign board in the middle of the river. Or continue on via the land trail. 

Spot the humans, there was where we needed to cross to

River route

Land route

First look



Baie de Kanumera
I stayed at Gite Nataiwatch and a short trail leads to Baie de Kanumera. According to Lonely Planet, Baie de Kanumera is good for snorkelling where coral grows not far from the shore. 






Baie de Kuto
Baie de Kuto, on the other hand, said to be the place to lie on the beach or swim in the calm sea. 




Eat bulimes/Escargots de l'Île des Pins
These snails can only be found in Ile des Pins so this was my second non supermarket meal when I saw that the gite I stayed at served this. 

Entree of garlic butter snails on toast and main of seared tuna, marinated in pepper and soy sauce, seasonal vegetable and house fries. Entree and mains cost 3990 XPF. I didn't get dessert. I brought some sustenance from Noumea to save money. Entree was good, main not so. 




There are a few other activities that can be done like hiking the Pic N'ga Track, visiting Grotte de la Reine Hortense (limestone cave). 


Side note: This was my first time eating a snail, didn't try any when in France. 

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments