New Caledonia: A French territory in the South Pacific

By Cubie - October 14, 2023


New Caledonia is an overseas territory of France, located in the South Pacific. New Caledonia is about 1,500 km east of Australia. The country is made up of islands, the main island being Grande Terre. Loyalty Islands of Mare, Lifou and Ouvea are 3 islands in a line, about 100km off the east coast of Grande Terre. Another island - Isle des Pins is 110km southeast of Noumea. 

Most of my flights are to the left of Australia but this round it was to the right. There used to be direct flight from Melbourne but it probably has been discontinued. On my way there, I had a transit in Sydney and a transit in Brisbane on my way back. Not intentionally but based on cheapest flight fare. My initial flight that was scheduled to arrive in the evening in Noumea got cancelled and I was rescheduled on a later flight that day. 

I am not a big beach holiday person so this was a bit out of the norm country of choice to visit to. However, it checked the boxes of short flights (disregarding transit), short holiday, I've not been and flight ticket sales. New Caledonia, however, is not a cheap holiday destination. 

The itinerary is very simple, just a week in Noumea and Ile des Pins. I stayed in Airbnbs (Motor Pool before Ile des Pins and Val Plaisance after) in Noumea and a gite in Ile des Pins. The other place I would want to visit in New Caledonia that I didn't would be The Heart of Voh.  

M: morning, E: evening, N: Night

22/04, Day 00 - Sydney, arrived in Noumea* at night
23/04, Day 01 - Noumea*, walking around Central Noumea
24/04, Day 02 - Noumea*, hiking at Mont Dore
25/04, Day 03 - Noumea*, visit Tjibaou Cultural Centre and Museum of World War II
26/04, Day 04 - Flight to Ile des Pins* (Gite Nataiwatch)
27/04, Day 05 - Ile des Pins*
28/04, Day 06 - Flight back to Noumea*
29/04, Day 07 - Noumea*, around Anse Vata
30/04, Day 08 - Flight back to Melbourne
*referring to overnight stay


Side note: Now I understand why people would return to Mayday's concert again & again. 

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments