Rocks in Australia

By Cubie - April 23, 2014

The first time I visited Australia was donkeys years ago. Of the states in Australia, my mother and I visited Perth as sis is there. As sis was working, I signed us up for a couple of day trips. Our first day tour was to The Pinnacles. Of course, there were some other stops aside from The Pinnacles but that, is another story as I am going to talk about rocks here :P


The Pinnacles are limestone formations structures located within Nambung National Park, near the town of Cervantes, Western Australia.


Our second day tour - was to Wave Rock. Wave Rock is 14 metres high and around110 metres long. It is a natural rock formation and shaped like a tall breaking ocean wave. It lies in a small town of Hyden in Hyden Wildlife Park.


After two day tours to see The Pinnacles and Wave Rock, mom was telling sis that I brought her to see rocks after a long 4 hours van ride. :|

By then, I thought I would spice things up and take a day tour to Margaret River. Ha! On the way there, we visited Canal Rocks :D


Canal Rocks is one of the many striking headlands that lie along Leeuwin-Naturaliste coastline. It looks ahead off the Indian Ocean, forming a patchwork of rocky islands.
The rocks has characteristic of gneiss (pronounced nice), a metamorphic or 'changed' rock.

A few years down the road, I relocated to Sydney. One of the easiest and popular day trip from Sydney is Blue Mountains. One of the Blue Mountains' most spectacular landmark is The Three Sisters. It is essentially an unusual rock formation, said to represent thress sisters who according to Aboriginal legend were turned to stone.


The Three Sisters are the only rocks I have visited in New South Wales (NSW). One of the most famous rocks in Australia would be the next one that I have visited on my first trip to Victoria (VIC) - meet the 12 Apostles.


These magnificent rock stacks is like icing on the cake after a long drive along the scenic Great Ocean Road.


Come to think of it, I've only been to one rock place in NSW, one in VIC...and one in South Australia (SA). This was the one I think could have more interesting name (sorry!) as this rock is called the Remarkable Rocks.


Somehow every time I tell people this is the Remarkable Rocks, I can just picture a crow flying pass.. mmm... I blame it on my wild imagination :P

Then it brings us back to Western Australia (WA) again! This Sugarloaf Rock that is foundin Margaret River region is said to look like a massive chunk of rock that looks like "sugarloaf".

So...does it look anything like a conical moulded mass of sugar?
Then it comes to my top two favourite rocks, both are found in Northern Territory (NT). I can't decide if which one I prefer.

It was heaps fun trekking up Kata Tjuta but the sunset upon Uluru is hard to beat!

  



Side note: Now I got to fix that light in my lounge room.. I need a tradie friend...:|

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. Would love to visit the place one day.

    Got any interesting running event there? ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually there are... at least the ones I know...
      There's the Australian Outback Marathon in Uluru - http://australianoutbackmarathon.com/

      .. and this Wild Endurance challenge (http://wildendurance.gofundraise.com.au/cms/home)
      I know one of my colleagues joined this one.

      Delete